Remembrance Day 2026

 


It's Remembrance Day.

As a Royal Air Force Daughter I know all too well what war does to a person.
To the victims, to the soldiers, even to the oppressors.. and to those who sit at home and feel helpless, and for those who just go on their way ignoring the news and acting like it doesn't concern them.

Today we woke up with the news that a group of activists have thrown and put paint on the national monument of remembrance.
They say there is not enough attention for what is happening in Gaza.

It makes me very mad!!

The paint can be removed.

But they are forgetting that there IS attention for GAZA.
They are forgetting Ukraine... Am I painting their houses to make them aware of that?

They are destroying the monument of exactly those people who stood up against war and genocide!!

My family was in the resistance and they didn't paint ...they worked hard to get enough food and other necessities for those in need, they worked hard to keep them safe...sometimes at the cost of their own lives.
Yes, I have lost family members.
I am daily reminded of that, because one of my daughters is the spitting image of one of the women who have been killed during the war. I have seen the grief, even after many years, of all those who were loved and were no more.

My father was hunted down by the nazies, but he managed to escape.. He was never able to tell about that...
But he reached England, and joined the RAF.

He didn't paint a statue! He did what he had to do: active duty!
He would have done it elsewhere too.
He was a guy like that!

So don't disrespect him in any way!!!

Some only pray for those who died during the war.
"They gave their lives."

They did.

But those who survived also did.
When he returned home in 1947 my gram saw a changed young man.
Someone who was wise for his age, introverted, serious.
He turned out an amazing boss, who was loved by his employees.
A good father for me.

He didn't grow up by being "against", but by "doing for."

It was not that he wanted to hide his actions because he knew they were wrong.
It was that he didn't want to talk about them, because he thought I should have a happy time. As long as I didn't understand the gravity and seriousness of war....

I do understand it now...

That's why I don't throw paint to a monument.

That's why I remember all who died.
Also the Roma, also the Jews.
Because those who died then, are not the same people as those who now make the political choices.

I remember those who gave their lives. As victims, and as soldiers and resistance.
Those who didn't paint monuments, but who actively tried to save lives.
And who brought us freedom and peace.






.

About *Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment