First Christmas

 




This week's tune? Hear it here.

  1. The song mentions snowmen and snow on a windowpane. Has it snowed near you yet?


    Yes, we had a couple of hours of snow, last month.
    Now we're in a winter heat wave!! ( I didn't know that existed!)

  2. Diane Keaton sings that hearing "I'll Be Home for Christmas" makes her miss someone she loved who won't be coming home at all. Is there a Christmas song that reminds you of a loved one?

    Yes, plenty.
    That;s one of the reasons why I don't like christmas. It makes me feel lonely.

  3. After the song was first released for Christmas 2024, Diane said she appreciated how many people posted on her Instagram, sharing their "First Christmas journeys," explaining how they navigated the first holiday season without a special someone. What have you recently posted on social media (other than this blog post)?

    My former blog post.
    Venting about things that go wrong at the moment.

  4. Diane appeared in the Broadway musical Hair and sang in movies like Annie Hall and The First Wives Club. Still she didn't consider herself "much of a singer." How about you? What's something you do, even though you're not completely comfortable doing it?

    Walking.
    Wish I could do more things, real challenges.

    Th issue is, when I am not completely comfortable with something I either do it or I don't. When I do it I ignore I am not fine with it, and do my thing as good as I can. That often means building self-confidence.

  5. This was Diane's first and, sadly, her only record. She was nervous doing it, but it helped that the lyrics was written by her friend, Carole Bayer Sager, and that both Carole and her writing partner, Jonas Myrin, were with Diane in the studio. Tell us about a friend who came through for you.

    A friend travelling with me during my holiday trip, next januari. She needs a break, but I think she also realizes I can do with someone to share my stories and experiences with.

    Another friend invited me over next monday. I will go by train and she picks me up with her car.

    Caretaking of so many people during all my life means that I hardly have real friends.


  6. After her 75th birthday, Diane said she was excited that new ventures were coming her way and she found herself saying "yes" more often. In addition to recording this week's song, she accepted an unexpected offer from Look Optic to design eyewear. Have you recently tried something you've never done before? OR What's something you'd like to try?

    I want to do a parachute jump, even though I don't know if that will ever happen because of my physical issues.
    I also want to go to Everest Basecamp. But ...money money.

    Oh, and I ordered glasses in china and they are perfect!!
    I would love to design eyewear!!!!!


    Now for some questions about the holiday season ...


  7. Do you display the holiday cards you receive?

    Yes, I do. I hang them on a line in the living room.
    I always do.

  8. This is a big time of year for necklaces, hats and headbands decorated with jingle bells. Will you be wearing any bells this season?

    No. I don't want to be considered a nutcase because of that!
    We don't have traditions or fashion like that here.


  9. The website Morning Save included these three items on their list of this season's popular gifts. Would you rather receive: a. cup holder/phone mount for your car; b. sherpa lined clog slippers; c. set of three stainless paring knives with rosemary green plastic handles?


    Huh???
    I don't have a car.
    I have crocks. I don't know what sherpa lined is.
    I have knifes enough.

    So no gifts, please. I will feel the need to return and I can't afford that.

.

About *Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

5 Comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have a friend going with you on your January trip. That will certainly make it more enjoyable, I would hope! I do understand about being a 'caregiver' and not having a lot of friends. As a pastor's wife for 30 years, we moved a lot and I also found that making true friend that I could trust was very difficult. When you are a pastor's wife, people expect you (and your family) to be perfect, and they tend to put you up on a pedestal. Of course, a pastor's family is just like everyone else's family. We have problems and sorrows and issues just like everyone else, but we have to hide them because people can't accept that we aren't perfect. So it is very difficult to make real friends because their expectations are too high and when we fail or act like a "normal person" (whatever that is), they have a hard time accepting it. I often found that I made my best friends with people who were outside of our church circle and would allow me to be "me". But again, we moved often and it was difficult to keep friends for long. There are a few people out there that I've known for years that I would consider a true friend, but we live far apart and rarely, if ever, have the opportunity to connect except by Facebook or phone. I guess that's why I like blogging so much. I feel like many people here are closer to me as friends than people in my "real life". I can be ME here. And I am glad that we can connect with people all over the world who become very special to us...like you. May your Christmas time be surprisingly blessed this season, beyond your expectations. (((HUGS))).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have the same feelings. Online can be as good as real life, except the hugs..LOL! I can understand the struggle. We here experienced that the other way around. Priests, not married, telling married couples how to deal with problems. They have no couple experience, just from their parents, through others and books. The one priest that got outside the church law and had a girlfriend left the church. He later admitted that he realized he was giving bad advice as soon as they had their first row. The expectations were so high. He later met a protestant couple who struggled with the same you mentioned. We had some interesting discussions about God giving the real life experience, and people expecting the perfect person as representation of their image of God. I wonder if that was part of me finding Buddhism my way: knowing everyone can be better, and trying it yourself...each day with a clean slate. Not playing a role, but being you...trying....

      I am happy to have you as a friend. I assume we'll never meet, unless you pay a visit to for instance Amsterdam... or London. But you feel a best friend. Thank you. Huggggsssss.

      Delete
  2. My daughter did the parachute thing. Once. She said it was incredible. But she’s never had the urge to do it again. I have no desire to jump out of a plane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for her!!! I have always wanted it, but resposibilities not to break my legs, money, etc. My father jumped during WW2. My son2 became a parachutist. I volunteer in their group...so it's so close. I would like to experience it, was about to, when I broke my ankle... without canopee, from the stairs...

      Delete
  3. #3 I think we all vent every so often on our blogs.

    ReplyDelete