- What has been your favorite vacation? Why?
I have a few favorites.
I have always love the beach, but we never went any longer than a daytrip.
I have always enjoyed staying with the paras. But I think this year I won't beableto go with them to the jumping, as I can't walk properly on the dropzone yet. Transport is a problem now there is a new person organising it and he thinks people who are not on the dropzone have to find their transport themselves.
And I loved going to England.
That brings me to the most favorite:
When I was 11 I went with my father to England and his RAF-friend Ron drove us around England, the south of Scotland and Wales.
We stayed with Aunthy Cathy (Catherine Brotherton) in Wolverhampton, at 11 Grange Road. She was so lovely! I suddenly had to sisters and two brothers. I felt more loved than at home.
Sadly they moved and I never got their address. I would like to thank the family for hosting my dad in WW2 and being so nice to me.
The last contact I had was when my father was dying. I called Aunty Cathy and we both decided I would buy a bouquet of flowers in the colours of the english and our flag. It was the last my dad saw.
My mother threw away all my fathers things and among that was his address book. I have always felt that was a violation of the bond dad and I had with the family there.
That vacation meant one of the most important things in my life.
I learned to speak english, saw so many sites in the UK, and it made me feel I belong there more than I belong here.
After staying with Aynty Cathy and travelling around with Ron we went to London and stayed there for a while.
Saw a lot of the special places which are now too expensive to visit.
Each time I arrive in London I arrive home. There is no need to be the tourist and go on expensive tours. Even when I am alone I am perfectly happy walking around. - Did you ever go fishing? What do you think about it?
No.
Why catch animals and throw them back? Show some respect for nature! - Which area of the world appeals most to you? Why?
The Himalayas. I have always been drawn to Mt. Everest. If I had the opportunity I would love to go to the base camp. - Which part of politics bothers you most at the moment?
Haha. T. manipulating the world. Blackmailing each and every country. He nees to get them on their knees begging for his speialattention and help.
Ugh!!
If he keeps on going with his tariffs, I might get in horrible problems because my pension depends on the world economy. Imagine I have to leave this house. There is no place to go as there is a horrible housing shortage. - What is the best wedding present you have ever given..or recieved?
I can't remember we got better presents than a pepper and salt combo...
I have a cakeknife ands scoop for the new couple, with their names and wedding date.
Now they said they don't want a cake, but cupcakes.... - Did something happen yesterday or today that got your special attention?
The tariffs being paused, the sun!!
.


I'm sorry I didn't get around to doing this yesterday. I hope to do it, but maybe not this week. May have to wait for the next one. I enjoyed your answers. Your trip with your dad to England and visiting those dear people sounds like something really special. I wish you could get back in touch with the somehow. How wonderful that you had that experience and learned to speak English, etc. That is truly amazing. Oh, cupcakes! The new rage...my son and his bride also had cupcakes at their wedding. She actually made them herself. It does make for a more budget friendly kind of wedding "cake". But yes, what to do with the special wedding cake knife and "scoop" (spatula?). Maybe they will use it for other cakes and/or pies in the future. It will always be a special keepsake from their wedding, and from YOU, which makes it even more special.
ReplyDeleteMt. Everest sounds quite daunting to me. I am definitely not a climber, especially where it is so cold and the weather so brutal. But it would be interesting to at least see the base camp, as you said. We have a Mount Washington in New Hampshire here in the states, and many people climb it, where the weather is quite dangerous in winter. I've actually been to the top of it, but via the Cog Railway that goes up to the top where there is a weather station. It was quite fascinating. https://www.thecog.com/ this link tells you all about that place.
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I do pray that the world situation will not cause you and great financial distress. We have a different perspective on this topic coming from opposite sides of the world, but it is important to hear how others are being effected by these issues. There are always many sides to every story, especially when it comes to politics, so that is why I do not discuss it in my blog unless absolutely necessary. Not everyone see everything the same way for many different reasons. But I respect and appreciate hearing how things may be affecting others, and it gives me more reasons to pray and be more open minded. And I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers, for your well being and care.
I have tried to get in touch with the family. Friends living near have even tried. We found someone with the name, but it was another family. Such a pity!! I am thinking of writing to a local paper, now the war ended 80 years ago this year.
ReplyDeleteI am sure it is facinating. Looks marvelous! I enjoyed a trip to the Gross Glockner, which is a lot lower. Would love to go back.
We Dutch are known for our loud discussions about politics. We read a lot about it and hear a lot too. Due to our language skills, and reporters in all sorts of countries, we are able to form an opinion. In the past people from different countries asked me what was pusblished here about their country, because they had a feeling their media were not reporting everything. We love to discuss politics and hear the arguments and facts of others, and are open minded enough to change our views or deepen our insights. I think it's based on our position in history as a trading country.
We also have a motto: when you stay silent you won't learn anything, things won't change and you'll be an accomplice when things go wrong.
Different countries, different ways.
Have a great weekend!!