- Was there a teen hangout in your town or near it where teens seemed to gravitate? What was a favorite place to go?
We were living in kind of village at the border of the town.
There was nothing for teenagers as anopen hangout.
We were supposed to take part in activities as the choir, the drumband, football, etc etc.
Only for the older teenagers with mopeds there was a small square where they gathered.
I didn't have time for a hangout anyway. The school was an hour bicycling away.
After school I used to go and help my gram, go to balletschool without my mom knowing it. go home and fetch the groceries, do the cleaning at home, make my homework.. - Did you attend your high school varsity games? What high school activities did you enjoy the most?
We didn't have varsity games the way the americans and some British have.
I was a writer for the schoolpaper. One of the two school poets. I loved to help out the teachers, was a dedicated member of the choir and was part of the student organisation (to improve things at school and organise sportscontests.) - Did you have any teen idols whose music or acting you just really enjoyed? What music did you enjoy most? What movies?
Not a real teen idol. I loved the Tarzan series with Ron Ely. I always wanted to go to Africa and the Amazon.
I loved a lot of music. Sang with a friend in a folkband.. mainly Scottish traditionals.
With the same friend: Simon and Garfunkel. Don McLean and on my own: Joni Mitchell. - Did your school have dances or sock hops and did you attend?
We had saturday evenings..once a month. Mainly twist and such.
Sock hops were unknown here.


Hey, we both liked Simon and Garfunkle!! And I loved the folk style music too. Oh, and we didn't have "sock hops" here either, but just a regular dance, like you, we did the "Twist" and other variations of that, mainly just moving to the beat of the music, and then of course, slow dances with a boyfriend to the slow songs. Sigh...LOL. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...", but it's probably best that they did! LOL. I was also in the high school chorus. I enjoyed that as well, and still sing in our church choir today. Did you have to ride your bicycle to school an hour one way every day? Wow! What did you do when it rained or other inclement weather? Did they have school buses in your area? We had them, but I did not like to ride them. It was a very long and hot and bumpy ride, as our stop was the last one coming home, and the first one in the morning. Usually my mother dropped me off at school as she had to go to work. Sometimes a neighbor took me to school. It was too far too walk and way back when I was in elementary school the road wasn't paved, but was clay that would get very muddy when it rained, so it wasn't conducive to bike riding either. (3 miles)
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining in. Do you still write poems? You should share some!
No, we don't have schoolbusses. Only for children with special needs who have to go to a special school which is too far away. At the time going such a long way seemed normal. We had a special cape to cover ourselves and our schoolbag when it was raining. During the hot days we never carried water, but I made a stop at the house of a friend, where I would get some. When the roads were snowed under, we used to know what to do and not to do, and the same for icy roads. The last often meant walking large stretches. Leaving home very early and still arriving too late. I was always pardonned, as my father didn't have a car to bring me and no other students live near me. Just one or two days I decided not to go to school at all. And one saturday I left for school early and came at an empty school. I left too early to hear that they had cancelled all lessons. And we didn't have mobile phones. I went to the cloister beside the school and was received with loving care. The hot chocolate did wonders. After that I went to my gram, who lived not too far away.
DeleteYes, clay can be a real bother. We live here on clay too. No mudroads anymore, but the garden needs a lot of care to grow something nice.
The poetry site is mentioned on the site of the Feathered Poets. LInk near the bottom of the side bar.
Enjoy your day!!
I liked Joni Mitchell too as well as Simon and Garfunkle. An hour by bike is a long way. Good exercise I guess but still a long way to go!!
ReplyDeleteYes, it was a long way. But it was the best school, so well worth it.
DeleteThanks for visiting.
I thinking writing for the school paper would be fun. I was on our yearbook staff and loved that. I did the layouts.
ReplyDeleteYes. I loved it. Not only the writing, but also the contacts. It resulted in a carreer.
Delete