My father's birthday is always one that makes me remember so many special moments. We shared a lot.
But he never told much about his life during WW2, and the past years I have been looking to find out what he did and where.
I wasn't very successful.
Even not after finding his army number.
The files only stated: "ground crew", which was maybe put there because I used to say "to become a member of the club in London I only need them to say he was ground crew."
The paperwork didn't say where or when. No squadron, nothing.
We applied for his records, but never got a reaction.
The past days I found out his records might have been transferred to the British National Archives. So I applied for his records there.
It stated I would get a reaction within 2 weeks, but after posting all the details I know, it said 9 months!! So another forever wait..past Remembrance Day.
My large computer crashed about 3 to 4 years ago.
Several times we tried to switch it on, but it didn't happen.
I gave up. Bought a chromebook as I had no more money, and that was it.
I didn't use the desk and chair anymore, so gradually it became a place to store my hobby stuff.
One of my sons offered to replace the box, or how do you call it, but that meant to find another place to store my stuff, so I postponed it and maybe he'd forgotten it altogether.
Today...on my dad's birthday, I heard a sound coming from behind my hobbystuff.
First I thought it was an echo of the freezer... but I knew better, as the sound was very familiar.
My computer was running again... it was switched on without any disturbance in the electrics and without anybody being able to get to the switch. No mice in the house either.
It took me quite a while to get my hobbystuff away to switch it off.
I still don't know how it got swtiched on.....
Several times we tried to switch it on, but it didn't happen.
I gave up. Bought a chromebook as I had no more money, and that was it.
I didn't use the desk and chair anymore, so gradually it became a place to store my hobby stuff.
One of my sons offered to replace the box, or how do you call it, but that meant to find another place to store my stuff, so I postponed it and maybe he'd forgotten it altogether.
Today...on my dad's birthday, I heard a sound coming from behind my hobbystuff.
First I thought it was an echo of the freezer... but I knew better, as the sound was very familiar.
My computer was running again... it was switched on without any disturbance in the electrics and without anybody being able to get to the switch. No mice in the house either.
It took me quite a while to get my hobbystuff away to switch it off.
I still don't know how it got swtiched on.....


But did it work when it switched on? Just wondering what came up. My desktop computer recently crashed, and I was able to replace it with a refurbished one purchased through Walmart online. It was very inexpensive, and it finally came last week, and it is working great. And today I was finally able to transfer files from my old hard drive, which I removed from the old desktop. It took some doing to get the right cable to do the transfer, but again, it wasn't very much money at all, and now I have all my old files that were in the old computer! I have been transferring them to flash drives so they don't get lost again if this computer dies.
ReplyDeleteI do hope they will be able to find your father's military records. They have to be somewhere! I know it will give you a sense of peace to finally have them. It's good to remember his service and honor his memory in that way. But even if you never get the records, it is good that you are honoring him with your own life and service as well. That is very meaningful.
Take care my friend.