Saturday 9 - Charlie Mops

 


This week's song? Hear it here.
 
  1. This week's song is about a legend, Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer. Tell us about something you enjoy so much you could sing about it with the same enthusiasm the Salt Sea Pirates sing of beer.

    Whisky.

  2. The lyrics tell us beer goes well with breakfast, dinner and snacks. Think about what you dined on yesterday. What beverages did you have with your breakfast, your dinner, and your between-meal snack?

    Coffee and water.

  3. "Charlie Mops" was chosen because it's an Irish drinking song and Sunday is St. Patrick's Day. Do you expect to raise a glass in honor of the day?

    No, we don't celebrate it here at all.

  4. Beer is not the only beverage often dyed green for St. Patrick's Day. In 1970, McDonald's introduced the Shamrock Shake, a milkshake made with a minty green syrup. If we were to go out for shakes right now, what flavor would you order?

    No shakes for me.
    I used to like the banana ones.

  5. Legend has it that wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns, who can be mischievous pranksters. Is there anyone you would like to avoid today?

    Mr. J.

  6. For all our talk of green, it was not the original color of St. Patrick's Day. Through most of the 18th century, blue was worn across England and Ireland to honor St. Patrick. The Irish switched to green to express their independence from the English. Which color do wear more often: blue or green?

    Blue. Green makes me look pale.

  7. Today St. Patrick's Day is observed all over the world. In Tokyo, it's not a single day but a weekend celebration. When you think of Japan, what's the first thing that comes to mind?

    Zen, Fukushima, Sushi

  8. One of the biggest parades each year in Buenos Aires is for St. Patrick's Day. Have you ever participated in a parade?

    Yes, as I was a piper in a band.
    But it was not a St. Patrick's Day parade.

  9. Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, GA, crowns a Miss St. Patrick's Day. Tell us about an event you recall from your college days.

    My first day teaching in the large hall.
    I was just a year older, the youngest staff member, taking over from my boss.
    The hall had 400 chairs. They were all full, and quite a lot of students were standing or sitting on the stairs.
    The direct camera was connected to two other halls. One housing 300 students and the other one 200.
    I was nervous.
    Instead of standing right in front of the blackboard I sat down on the huge "desk" while the students were entering and the technicians started their stuff.

    I started with a welcome and told them it was my first time, like it was their first time, and we needed to create good and worthwhile together.
    Then started, made a joke to test of they were all listening...and they all laughed.

    This was the start of one of the best times of my life.























.

About **Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 Comments:

  1. Interesting memory of your school days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My university years were very interesting. I loved studying and I took as many opportunities as possible. Because I had to work to pay my studies, I tried to find job which were interesting, challenging and fun. That kept me going.

      Delete