Thursday 13 - my 13 best teachers

 

My 13 best teachers



  1. Juf Ans,Miss Ans
    She was my first kindergarten teacher. She had a lovely smile, was always very calm.
    A new teacher. The boys who were my playmates on the street were allowed to take me to the school for one or a few days. They dropped me off at Juf Ans and I had a great time. They also took me home. Why my mother didn't bother to bring me I will never know.




  2. Juf Ans,Miss Ans
    After moving to another part of town that teacher was also called Miss Ans. She was kind too. It was a Montessorischool. I loved it, because it was never a problem when the uncles taught me tricks to draw, use the scissors to make snowflakes, etc etc.
    Our classroom was rather dark. Maybe she had some eye disease? 

  3. Zuster Theodorina/Sister Theodorina
    She was my next teacher. By then they had found out my mother was not very kind to me.
    After school hours the sister kept me there "to help her". With the radio on, we tidied the classroom and cleaned a bit. I was the one taking the picture of the lovely deer from the wall and take the dust off. She also had me go to balletlessons. Told my mom that she wanted me to go there because she had to speak to a mother.
    It was clear to me she actively created a good time for me.

  4. Tante Fien, Aunty Fien
    The teacher of the swimmingpool. Safety was number 1 for her. If the boys were troubling the girls she called them, told them her opinion which entailed clear rules in behaviour, and she rubbed their ears. so others could see they had been a problem. The red ears would stand out!!
    My dad took me with him to the pool when I was 4 or 5.
    Now people consider that normal, but in those years it wasn't normal and she gave special permission. I was too young for swimming lessons, but she thought it would not be safe to be there without being able to swim. So she took it upon her to educate me. I was a quick student, and soon I could not only swim well, I was also able to dive, make saltos and bring a child that landed in the deep and was coughing for air to the wall and alert one of the safety guys.

    After that a new world opened to me.
    I was allowed to train with the large boys of the pool watch in rescue skills. At first they thought it to be funny to have a little girl in the water during their training. I was OK to play the victim, but when I expressed an interest to dive to the dummy they helped me to bring it to the surface.
    I still was not allowed to get a diploma: too young. I couldn't have read it anyway!

    Later I was part of the contest team.. won a few trofees for the school.
    Never got them home, which is a pity.
    I was allowed to teach the little children, especially those with special needs.
    Until it was decided by the national swimming organisation that a teacher's diploma was needed.
    We didn't have the money... and I loved ballet more.

  5. Juffrouw Voet/Miss Foot
    She taught me to read and write, and a lot more.
    She was lovely and had the patience of a saint.
    She made me love school and love learning.
    I missed her tremendously when she was away for a few days. She got the blackboard on her voet. We made a lot of jokes about her name and her accient...she started it!
    We learned that lamenting doesn't help. She showed that even with a physical problem one can pick up daily life. When she went to school without cast we brought flowers.

    Later in life I realized how important her example has been for me.





  6. Mevrouw Hendrix/Mrs Hendrix
    She was an older teacher. She was able to give attention to each and every child, make the child feel special and she could find the individual ways of development.
    I was away for 6 months to a children's home with almost no teaching, because I had been ill a lot of the time. When I came back I felt so welcome!! She made me catch up in a very easy way.
    I have been to her home a few times. She had a round room.

  7. Meneer Scheffers/Mr Scheffers
    He was the teacher of Dutch language and literature when I was 12/13.
    Was calm, kind and reacted a bit like my father.
    One day my best friend, who had another schedule, and I were drinking soup and talking. She had an hour off, I didn't. But I forgot to go to the lesson... After 20 minutes I suddenly realized that and nearly had a heart attack. I didn't dare to go to the lesson... so I went to Mr. Scheffers and he asked if Hanneke and I had a good talk. I said "yes". And he smiled and said: "Smetimes real life is more important than attending a lesson. Promiss that you will never forget your lesson. Now calm down, take a warm soup and enjoy the rest of the hour. No punishment. But next time...."
    Of course there was no next time.





  8. Meneer Hiddink/Mr. Hiddink
    I was one of the two first girls in a boys's school. 
    We came from the nuns, Ursulins. We had to wear long sleeves, all buttons of our shirts closed, and a skirt which was rather short.
    Mr. Hiddink was our music teacher. I was told to go to his choir. He was to be found in the top of the building. Leading to his classroom: open stairs...
    Waiting for us girls: the boys... Lots of them.
    They were eager to see is going up...to have a good look under our skirts.
    In the corner was the office of the schooldirector. I went there...he cleared the area, and wrote a new rule for the school: skirts not allowed on those stairs.
    Our first entrance of the top floor was completely private.... the second one...in denims... with applause.
    I had a great time at the choir.
    Mr. Hiddink discovered that the voices of my friend Annette, my friend Monica and mine, were a perfect fit. We got extra lessons, so we matched our tembre and almost felt what the others did. Then we got lots of performances. I was often the soloist, or sang together with Annette, or with Monica or both. Backed by the large choir. Whatever there was to celebrate, we were there: 25 anniversary of a teacher, 40 years a priest, a wedding ... 
    I was born in a family of musicians and singers, so I knew a lot and had a trained voice.
    Mr. Hiddink was able to give the theory behind the singing and the technical aspects, in combination with practice. And it was always fun. Never boring. I didn't feel I learned very important things that would be useful later in life. He made me integrate what I had learned in the family and what he taught me and I didn't even notice! I was singing!!
    And I was still singing when we had the 100 year anniversary of our school... in front of the choir, with Annette at one side and Monica at the other side.
    Then, at the reunion, in the restaurant, an old man walked in... Mr. Hiddink!!!"
    He had tears in his eyes, he knew my name... He told me he was happy to have heard us... Happy to see me.





  9. Pater Jan Nieuwhof S.J./Father Nieuwhof S.J.
    I was one of the lucky few who had him as a teacher a few years.
    He was one of the most experienced teachers, with lots of humor, and he was always smoking (in a time that smoking still was allowed in the classroom. It was forbidden during one of my last years.)
    I have many happy memories. During my final exams he wanted me to discuss one of my own poems. I said I would only do that when he would discuss one of his ones in the classroom. He did.
    During my final exams he asked me to compare a poem with mine, giving me his with an alias... and a wink.
    I had to be very careful what to say, as the official that was present was very critical. But I really enjoyed it! And passed!




    Later I visited him a couple of times. He was alwways very interested in what was going on in my life. I'll never forget the smile when I told him with which journalist I was sent on the streets to write articles. The guy became the best journalist of the country, one without any inhibitions in his questions. The best teacher for the shy girl with a good training. I was trained by the Jesuits, from putting letters in envelopes through all stages of officework, from writing a simple message to articles for children, bookreviews, to research articles. I learned lay out, using photographs, and talking in a tactful manner with printers, so I would get on paper what I wanted and how I wanted it...as soon as I needed it. I was great in creating one liner headings for newsarticles, was good in corrections, directing and editing a complete magazine... but I was shy. Insecure and shy. But not for long anymore.
    I never understood why that tall emerging journalist wanted to work in town with a small little balletgirl, who was trained at an international office of the Jesuits to become a journalist. Long before she was allowed to apply for the journalist school.
    Now I know... And in my mind I see his smile.

  10. Willibrord
    The young journalist who was asked to take a petite girl with him to show her the rope of the profession.
    He taught me to focus on the person in front of me, to forget myself.
    He knew how to ask questions, to persist and insist. He taught ne how to think in layers. Hear the answers and at the same time think what lies beneath it, and beneath that. He taught me how to keep the context in mind, not to get diverted. And he taught me how to write in such a way that an article was ready immediately at the time the embargo was lifted.
    He seemed to be an "uncontroled projectile", but instead he did his homework well. He researched his subject in detail, he always knew what he was doing.
    I lost my shyness very fast. Like at ballet where my spine straightened as soon as I put my gear on, I started being extremely observant when I had to work.
    When he thought I was ready to work alone, he wished me well.
    Often we would see each other adn exchanged a few words. Sometimes he gave me a pen, and later I got one of his photos..."To remember this handsome guy, he said."




  11. Eric Kellerman.
    I wanted to become a midwife, but the school was rather far away and living near the school was in the eyes of my mother no option. I had to go to university.. it was nearby.
    At school they already had told me it was not possible to become a GP, my second choice. I was not good enough in mathematics.
    As my trip to England resulted in a huge language success I had no choice. The pressure from mom was clear: realize her dream of becoming a teacher. I should become a university educated english teacher.
    In those times standing up against your parents was not done. So there I went.

    I enjoyed part of it. Loved to be in the language lab where the teacher, Gussenhoven, soon had much fun: there was this girl copying the most difficult dialects and accents!
    In a way I was bored to death in the other classes. My father brought meters of penguin pockets with english literature home from England and I had read them all. And understood them as far as possible.
    But I came alive when I had to create presentations, and my choices were rather unusual. Manor houses, castles, cultural differences in the border area between England and Wales, Scottish family histories.




    Eric Kellerman asked me for a meeting. How could such an enthousiastic english speaker be so bored in the other classes, but nevertheless got high marks there anyway? 
    "You are not happy here, are you?", he opened the conversation. "Why on earth did you choose this study?" He started to search with me what I'd rather do, and it resulted in an advice to study psychology. He would arrange the transfer immediately.

    My mother was furious. "We are not going to pay for THAT!!"
    So I worked the rest of the years at university... studied what I wanted, pedagogics, medicine, went with a dear friend to his sociology classes, with someone else to biology. I just grasped everything I thought was interesting and made it interesting.
    Because I needed money I got a job that resulted in me being youngest member of staff. I loved it!!
    I was developing talents in space-speed.

    When I finally decided it was enough and went to get my papers, diplomaÅ›, teacher's license and the lot, my mother wouldn't come.
    I was already very detached...I hope she wasn't amazed.

    I'm forever grateful Eric had that meeting with me, and kind of overstepped his duty.




    Van eck
    Jos mineur





    I got unexpected visitors. Will write more tomorrow.




.

About **Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

4 Comments:

  1. Hurrah for supportive and encouraging teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a lot about you in the Thursday 13. You had amazing people in your life; they probably saved you. I know my teachers certainly saved me. I am still in touch with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they and my gram saved me and gave me the courge to do things I never would have done as I was put down so often. They were amazing, and that's why I came up with the 13 for this meme. That's why I take the time to finish this. Have tried to find their photos...

      Delete