I decided to have the hand surgery at the hospital where they saved my life when I was dealing with heart issues.
They have some teaching duties, but it's not crowded with people who need to try things on me...
And the waitinglist was shorter!
I have been dealing witth problems with my hand for a long time.
My muscles are not functioning well. I couldn't lift a lot, and dealing with a larger camera was impossible.
So even when I worked as a journalist I had a small camera, which looked very unprofessional, but which enabled me to make the most interestig pictures as people didn't get the chance to pose.
During the years things became more difficult. Couldn't open a can... so we slipped in the habit of my campfriend opening my beers for me... reading to more people thinking we were married, as he never asked. LOL!
I was already collecting fountain pens, but as they took less effort to get things on paper, I wrote with them whenever possible.
Then my middle finger became a trigger finger.
When making a fist it got stuck.
By the time the pain had left and the issue became worse, my ringfinger started to have the same issue, but it was hurting even a lot more!
The tendon didn't fit properly in the tendonsheath.
For some reason it felt like the middle finger was having a different problem than the ringfinger, even though the result was the same.
Then I couldn't close my hand intentionally anymore.
But I would wake up with the fingers stuck.
I couldn't find out how that was possible.
As the handproblems interfered with daily life I went to the GP.
She wanted me to go to a doctor who works in the south at the ER and has a technique with a needle.
One way or another I had my doubts. Why a private practice when you earn enough? Not mentioning that he can't take certain patients, whereas a needle can't deal with all issues.. and working rather blind...
So my choice was for the hospital.
And I think it was the right choice. A surgeon who can see what he is doing, using equipment that can deal with all issues.. nearby..
The intake doctor gave me all options available. So I might have backed out, or tried a less invasive method first.
But when she heard that I couldn't close my hand anymore, the decision was clear.
Her approval was insurance approval.
I think the preparation was not enough.
Just asking if I had bloodthinners, not asking for my heartmedication or how serious my heartissues and lungproblems are. How I react under stress. And not asking if there are kidney issues.
As the choice of local anaesthetic should be influenced by the kidney insufficiency, I'd later sent her a letter with the value.
As I don't have online files at that hospital, I got no leaflets or any other information than time and place.
Found some online information, and some minor info about what to take with me. (Can't dress in an ID card, not even with an additional insurance card. )
I was the first that morning, so it didn't matter if I knew whether I could eat or not. I didn't.
Son2 fetched us, and he was early.
In the hall of the hospital we met one of the nurses of my daughter. As we were far too early it didn't matter she took her time to have a nice talk.
Then we went to the check in desk.
Had a walk to the pre-surgery desk.
I think the preparation was not enough.
Just asking if I had bloodthinners, not asking for my heartmedication or how serious my heartissues and lungproblems are. How I react under stress. And not asking if there are kidney issues.
As the choice of local anaesthetic should be influenced by the kidney insufficiency, I'd later sent her a letter with the value.
As I don't have online files at that hospital, I got no leaflets or any other information than time and place.
Found some online information, and some minor info about what to take with me. (Can't dress in an ID card, not even with an additional insurance card. )
I was the first that morning, so it didn't matter if I knew whether I could eat or not. I didn't.
Son2 fetched us, and he was early.
In the hall of the hospital we met one of the nurses of my daughter. As we were far too early it didn't matter she took her time to have a nice talk.
Then we went to the check in desk.
Had a walk to the pre-surgery desk.
I expected she would have us wait there, but she checked me in, gave me my paperwork and bracelets and told me where to wait.
It was quite a wait, as we were very early. But we said hello to the transportation service men and soon we had a few good laughs as they walked to and fro with empty beds.
Turned out they had to check and repair the brakes, and the repairstation was around the corner.
Then I was called in.
Got shoecovers.
Got the bacelets both on one arm.
"If something goes wrong we need to double check!" :) :) :)
There were 2 nurses and 2 doctors in the room.
We first had to find a way of getting me confortable with my back issues.
I was amazed it was no sporblem at all, so we moved the bed a bit, use an extra pillow under my knees, and I was fine for an hour.
Had to put the arm out and there was no need to fixate it I said.
Got the shots to kill the pain. Painfull of course.
The doc was surprised I didn't withdrew my hand, and when I thanked him he was very surprised.
"You are the first in many, many years!!"
So the tune was set for a pleasant way of dealing with each other.
Then the band needed to go around my arm, to stop bleeding.
I said there was a sensor. So suggested a small band.
It was fetcchedd and we tried ti put it under the sonsor. As part of it came over the elbow I was lucky. It worked and it didn't hurt at all. Having a bloodpressure band around my arm often hurts like hell, so I was extremely surprised.
After talking a bit he checked the feeling and started.
About the middle finger, he said that it was very necessary as it was all very firm and thick. It took him quite some effort to cut the tissue.
The other finger amazed him too, as it looked bad there too. He went through the tissue in another way.
In the meantime one of the nurses tried to divert my attention, but I'd rather looked at what was done. Quite simple and interesting. I wish I could have seen it even better.
Then the other doc was told to stitch me up. I think it was his first time.
Turned out the pliers were not closing properly. We both saw it at the same time.
He was very careful. Worked extremely precise, he would make nice embroidery!!
With absorbable sutures!
I was ordered to drink coffee outside the room, before leaving.
So I had a chocolate.
Said goodbye to the transportation guys.
And was wheelchaired to the central hall ....
In the afternoon the bandage felt tight around my wrist.
I noted that my middle finger got rather pale, and looking into the bandage I saw that the middle of the hand was pale too.
So I removed the bandage and put it on again, but not as tight.
It took all day before the numbness was gone.
As there was no aftercare at all, except: "remove the bandage after 48 hours, keep the wound dry, and move your fingers a bit", I found myself the necessary information online.
Started the simple excercises at the time given.
Now I still experience some pain, which is not surprising.
Can move around my fingers, but I can't make a fist.
That might be due to the swelling, or will be a permanent issue. It takes time to know.
But the enormous pain of the locked finger and unlocking it is gone.
I am very happy about that!!
It was quite a wait, as we were very early. But we said hello to the transportation service men and soon we had a few good laughs as they walked to and fro with empty beds.
Turned out they had to check and repair the brakes, and the repairstation was around the corner.
Then I was called in.
Got shoecovers.
Got the bacelets both on one arm.
"If something goes wrong we need to double check!" :) :) :)
There were 2 nurses and 2 doctors in the room.
We first had to find a way of getting me confortable with my back issues.
I was amazed it was no sporblem at all, so we moved the bed a bit, use an extra pillow under my knees, and I was fine for an hour.
Had to put the arm out and there was no need to fixate it I said.
Got the shots to kill the pain. Painfull of course.
The doc was surprised I didn't withdrew my hand, and when I thanked him he was very surprised.
"You are the first in many, many years!!"
So the tune was set for a pleasant way of dealing with each other.
Then the band needed to go around my arm, to stop bleeding.
I said there was a sensor. So suggested a small band.
It was fetcchedd and we tried ti put it under the sonsor. As part of it came over the elbow I was lucky. It worked and it didn't hurt at all. Having a bloodpressure band around my arm often hurts like hell, so I was extremely surprised.
After talking a bit he checked the feeling and started.
About the middle finger, he said that it was very necessary as it was all very firm and thick. It took him quite some effort to cut the tissue.
The other finger amazed him too, as it looked bad there too. He went through the tissue in another way.
In the meantime one of the nurses tried to divert my attention, but I'd rather looked at what was done. Quite simple and interesting. I wish I could have seen it even better.
Then the other doc was told to stitch me up. I think it was his first time.
Turned out the pliers were not closing properly. We both saw it at the same time.
He was very careful. Worked extremely precise, he would make nice embroidery!!
With absorbable sutures!
While the band was still on my arm, I got an enormous amount of cotton wool and bandages around my hand. Than the band was removed. And the whole thing was finished with a bandage sling.
They were very careful sitting me up. Wow!
But I was OK.
More afraid I would slip on those plastic shoecovers.
I was ordered to drink coffee outside the room, before leaving.
So I had a chocolate.
Said goodbye to the transportation guys.
And was wheelchaired to the central hall ....
In the afternoon the bandage felt tight around my wrist.
I noted that my middle finger got rather pale, and looking into the bandage I saw that the middle of the hand was pale too.
So I removed the bandage and put it on again, but not as tight.
It took all day before the numbness was gone.
As there was no aftercare at all, except: "remove the bandage after 48 hours, keep the wound dry, and move your fingers a bit", I found myself the necessary information online.
Started the simple excercises at the time given.
Now I still experience some pain, which is not surprising.
Can move around my fingers, but I can't make a fist.
That might be due to the swelling, or will be a permanent issue. It takes time to know.
But the enormous pain of the locked finger and unlocking it is gone.
I am very happy about that!!


OH, thank you for all of this information. I have been wondering about your surgery and the reasons for it. Now I understand. I have had some issues with trigger finger, but they seemed to have stopped for now and I have other issues with my wrist and the palm of my hand. It's not carpal tunnel, but not sure what, and I need to have it examined further. It sounds like your surgery went very well, and I pray your hand will soon recover and you will be able to use it "normally" in the future. I know it is difficult to live with only one good hand. Thank you for sharing this with us. Take care and give yourself time to heal before you try to do too much. I'm sure you know all that already. (((HUGS)))
ReplyDelete