Thursday 6 - Gardentasks

 


  1. Pruning shrubs and trees.

    I keep the trees in the front garden rather short, so I can keep them low myself.
    That way they also create more shadow, or I can create patches of sun in the garden.
    I keep the shrubs rather dense, so it's not easy to enter the garden at all. One needs to go past the doorbellcamera.

    There is a small light in the middle, so I can see if there is someone there...

  2. The past days I have been harvesting the red berries. Early this year.
    I always harvest and prune at the same time. That way I don't forget it and by pruning above the first eye on the new part of the branch I know the harvest next year will be as good as possible.

  3. Compost bin.

    If needed I use the compost from the bin right before it starts to rain.
    I fill it up with priuned leaves and cuts of the small branches. I never throw complete branches in there. It takes longer to compost and it's not easy to get the compost out.
    I never throw cooked stuff in there, and never orange peels. Also never grass, as it clumps together.
    By keeping it compost from leaves and branches the smell is not there at all. 
    When the compost is dry I throw hot water on it.

  4. Check for pests and prevent them.

    You can use aluminum foil to prevent courgettes to be infected. Roll it around the lower stem, 1 to 2 cm in the ground and up to a height of 7 to 10 cm.

    Check if there is no free standing water in the garden. Reemove it. Even a fw drops can be the home for mosquitos!

  5. Water plants.

    Warering in the morning gives the plants a boost before the summer heath, and the leaves will be dry in the evening, so mold has less grip.

  6. Make new plants

    You can sow seeds, and plants cuts, or use other ways of making new plants.

    Do you know you can grow your own sweet potatoes?
    Just lay a potatoe on moist ground for 3 weeks.
    Cut the shoots when they have 3 or 4 leaves.
    Put them in water and then plants them in soil. Water well. And ignore them for a week.
    No fertiliser!


.

About **Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment