Camp Spring 2026 - Departure and arrival

 



Got hardly any sleep. 

Was up in time and apped son2, but got no reply.
So when it was about time to leave, so 5.30 I called him. He sounded very sleepy... like I woke him up.

No problems on the train.
At the busstop for the airfield bus it was like the whole country was leaving!
Huge busses were fully loaded in front of our eyes.
But because we left with plenty of time it was our choice to wait.

I guess it is the only place where it is allowed to enter the bus through one of the back doors.
I got a seat! Good, as I can't stand the whole stretch.

At the airfield we went to the assistance desk, where the roof was leaking (rain), and I saw someone familiar.
Son 1 would get me through the moves, but the girl wanted him to use the fast track. 
Border control was a mess. The person behind the macchine was not able to see things well, so only 1 of 20 suitcases went straight through.
Mine was opened for the presents. Folding scissors and foldable nailclippers. All individually wrapped, and put in a tiny bag. As all my stuff was in bags I didn't care too much that she went through my small suitcase. without hesitation, of course. That was enough.
Son1 had a powerbank with campinglight checked, and his small bag with camera batteries.

We had a long wait, which was not a problem. Better waiting at the airfield long and have plenty of time to relax than hurrying through the huge area.
It was nice to see all the tiny figures working at the airfield.

Son1 wanted us to switch seats. So now he got a place in the front and I in the back.
I am used to sitting alone in a plane, so no problem there, but it was the seat at the path...

When I arrived the two people who were sitting gave me room for....the window!! Yes!!!!
Almost all photos were bad, because I still have no proper camera, but used the phone. Pity!!!!!!! It was such a beautiful flight! 
And bumpy, but I don't care at all.

When we arrived at Standsted there was no assistance to be seen.
There was just one person telling us to go upstairs.
Getting up some stairs is not an issue, but these stairs were a bit too much.
After me I heard him telling a family with a few children and a handicapped boy in a wheelchair to go upstairs. Huh?

I expected a wheelchair upstairs....none!
There was absolutely no one.

I sat down for a while to catch my breath... was there with son1, all others were gone.

Then I had to try and get down the only way available: an escalator!!
I hurt my foot. Thank you very much.

Downstairs there was no one either.
So strange.
I never have entered an airport with no people naround.

The family was still upstairs trying to find out what to do.

At the elevators there was one of the personell standing.
So I asked where the assistance was.

Couldn't understand his mumbled answer.
I told him that there were still people upstrairs with a cchild in a wheelchair who needed assistance, as I had seen only an escalator and no elevator.

He told me to ring for assistance.

Huh? Ring for assistance?

"Yes, call for assistance. Red phone." He waved his hand to the wall, 2 meters (or less) from where he was standing.

"You want me, another passenger, to call for assistance for other passengers?"

"Yes"

20 to 30 people where watching and listening.

"So you work here, and you want me, a passenger, to call for assistance for other passengers?"

"Yes".

I stumbled with my painful foot, leaning on my cane to the red phone and when it was answered I couldn't even hear the person at the other side well enough to make some words out of it.
But I didn't mind.
Made clear there was a family with children and a child in a wheelchair needing assistance NOW!!! As there was only an escalator available!

We struggled our way back to tell them someone was coming.
The boy was on crutches now, standing on top of the escalator. 
Oh dear!!!

I managed with a lot of pain to get to the little train, expecting assistance at the stop...
Haha....wrong!!

Another empty hall....

When we came in the hall of border control there was a woman talking with a man and she looked like assistance.
So I asked politely.

"Wheelchairs are back..you have to walk back."

"No, I won't walk back. I can't any more."

No movement from her. She could have told me to take the fast track. She didn't.

I saw the zigzagline... No way I was going to walk to the right and to the left and to the right and to the left....
In fact I wanted to sit down (and cause a stir!!)
So I stopped in front of the black ribbon between two poles.
And signaled a woman observing people.
But a man was already there and provided me a straight walk forward.

To my utter amazement the machine accepted my passport and hand.
(The last time I had to try three times and then had to walk to a real human being who wasked me where I was going and who thanked me for  taking care of the veterans. In fact he thanked me three times!)

During my struggle through the airport I met two wardens who were very empathic. They both urged me to file a complaint.
They both were the positive factors during this all.

And we met the parents with the children... They had the same feeling as I had.

Someone told me there were signs on the wall telling people to call assistance.
Right... but when your eyesight is not optimal, or when you focus on children, you won't see them.

Then train, underground, underground, train, all with more ibuprofen than allowed (sorry kidneys! But I needed to be able to get to the hotel and I was in far more pain than would have been necessary.).
We had a pause at the Wetherspoon. Were too tired to have a proper meal, so we ordered some chicken bites and a drink. The chicken bites were very tasty. Yummy!!

I missed the most beautiful part of the country, because I feel asleep...

At our endpoint our friend was waiting with a car!!!

At the hotel we had the same room as before... Yep, the one with the window in the ceiling and the switch beside it.

And the hangers for more coats than I had with me, the TV, and ..... coffee!!!

Son1 went to the shops to get some food and a large packet with waterbottles.



.

About *Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment