Thursday 6 - Travel Fears

 


My travel fears:


  1. Being bumped from the plane.

    That happened once already.
    Son 1 had booked a trip and the day before leaving it was told I couldn't go on the plane.
    I think he booked assistance and was not very clear I didn't want and didn't need to go on the plane in a wheelchair.
    Needing assistence is about walking long distances and standing still for more than 10 minutes. I can go up the stairs by myself.

    As he was travelling with me he asked to be rebooked. Which didn't happen.
    I got the idea to look at the Flixbus for the next day...nothing.
    He called and they found a place on the late bus from another town...That evening!!

    So son2 was aksed and he brought us there by car.
    Before we left I just took a large shoppingbag and threw in there everything I wanted to take with me and couldn't on the plane, some food drinks, and a few presents.

    We travelled many many extra hours, but reached our destination.

    We are leaving next week. Cheap flights...
    Yes, I feel stressed about it.

  2. Hurting myself.

    With my back and leg issues there is always a risk of problems.
    I am insured well, even though this time I am travelling with son1, so I have someone to advocate for me, and who is able to arrange a cheap way back.. with complete assistance.

    A few years ago I was forced to walk a lot and go against all the signs and signals of my left knee that something was terribly wrong.
    When I left the train... in Amsterdam... there was nothing available to help me. No wheelchair to be found.. nothing.

    I was lucky I was travelling with someone who had a crutch, so I got that. But it still was a real job to go through the station.
    They must have seen me on the TV system...no reaction.
    We should have called an ambulance, and next time I will.

    The best help I got from a few cleaners, who even dried the ground in front of me so I wouldn't slip. They are part of my forever memories and gratefulness.

    When we finally reached another station a friend picked up her car and brought me home.

    With my spinal issues I might suddenly get in huge problems and need a wheelchair, permanent.

    I know I will have all the support I need, but it would mean a tremendous blow.


  3. Being too late.

    I am always very much in time.
    I hate to be late.

    Last year we were travelling with both girls and a friend. They wanted to take the train that gave us 15 minutes spare time.
    I insisted on taking two earlier. They didn't want to, but I said I would anyway... In that case I would travel alone and see them there.

    So they went with me anyway.
    Good they did.

    There were issues on the rails...twice!!!

    So we got our 15 minutes spare time... not more.

  4. Needing the loo and not being able to find one.

    Been with the bus and when we arrived at the transfer point the loos were all closed.
    I am a kidney patient, so I really needed to go.
    Son1 knew one of the people working there and I was allowed to use the bussiness toilet.
    Thanks!!

    And what to think of that trip with a promised toilet on board of the bus and it was such a mess that it was closed. It was flooding!!
    As there were more people on board we had a stop at a roadside shop/restaurant in Belgium.
    It was so clean!!! Magnificent!!

  5. Something happening at home.

    Daughter stays at home. She's got a camera for the front door and blocks the back door.
    Other emergencies... if needed I'll have to go back.

  6. Forgetting important papers, medications and passport.

    As I travel with insulin I have to take official paperwork with me. The same goes for my other medication.

    And when I travel or arrive alone I need to have the bookingsnumbers when I am not staying at my favorite hotels.
    And the roadplan...LOL!
    I also need to have my passport.

    Yes... I have forgotten my passport two years ago.
    We were travelling to Amsterdam, to get the Eurostar there. Met up with a friend, and were almost ready to check in.
    I opened the special place in my bag...nothing!

    Right before leaving I had changed bags... and forgot the passport.
    So I knew where it was....not with me.
    I was very upset.
    Went to the deks, almost in tears...I didn't know what to do. Asked if it was possible to get an emergency passport. The young lady there said it would take too long.
    I'd better go home.
    She looked for a place the next day and told me to be there at 7 a.m.!!!
    That would mean leaving home at 4.30.
    I protested...but she insisted. Gave me a phone number in case I would get stuck on my way there.

    So I went home, feeling the most stupid person in the world.
    The next morning I couldn't get thrugh the gates at the main station here.  Using all my knowledge of machines, I managed to reset it and I was just in time in the train. I could feel the airflow of the doors closing.

    In Amsterdam I was welcomed by the same young lady, smiling bright, while I was gutted.
    But I was in time, with only my handbag, as they took my large bag the day before.

    She told me to go woth a steward... he brought me to the train and showed me my place... 
    Then I knew why she insisted on me going at 7.

    First class, full breakfast, as much coffee as I wanted, plenty of snacks, etc etc.
    I even got a hand when leaving the train (I still could walk rather easy then).

    I felt as the queen.

    And at St. Pancras my friends were waiting and someone was playing one of my favorite songs on the piano...











.

About *Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment