Remembrance Day 2025

 




Another Remembrance Day, and other safety measures.
Now they closed the exit at the Big Ben, so we needed a walk around.

We decided to go to the Abby gardens to place the crosses.

A few years ago, when I first placs crsses I met a family member of a navy man.
He was old and asked me to salute to commemorate his famiy member when he wouldn't be there.
He wasn't there.
So I waited until the place was free and saluted.

Planted the cross for the army chaplain in the chaplains' field.
And the ones for Ron and dad with the RAF.

Then we went to watch the parade.
My daughter was not happy to do so, but I saw there was space at the poets' bench. It was rather far away from the parade, but we had a free view.

I waited some more than I wanted and then saw "our" veterans!!!
Couldn't take photos, but the BBC took over the job very well, I heard later.

We went to the Maple Leaf, our meeting pub.
At first I thought Daniel wasn't there, but he was and as happy to see me as I was to see him.

Some people came who weren't there before, which was great. I know them from the camp.

As I had no breakfast and nothing else, I asked son 2 who was on his way, to fetch me a Prett bread.
It was gone within minutes.

This time someone else had organised something to eat for lunch. It was far from enough, so I was glad I had my own lunch.
Son1 ordered union rings, so I had a dessert too.

One of our older friends turned up. A real surprise.

Then someone walked in who was the spitting image of my study friend. Same eyes, same nose, same mouth same smile, same movements.....
It was so weird!
I needed to be very conscious it was not my friend, but someone unknown.

I spoke to one of my friends about it, and he told me some things about the person.
That didn't help.
So I went to him and appologized for looking at him all the time and explained why. We talked a bit, but I still felt strange...

Later he said goodbye.... the same way as my friend....
Oh boy!

It was not possible to say hello to all the veterans, as some sat outside and were talking.
But I had to go to the one who wanted to start a support centre after my idea.
I thought we would work together, because a friend already started a supportcentre elsewhere in the country and had told me all about it. (He earned an MBE and got a lot of donations.)
Well, the veterans I was supposed to work with claimed the idea and wanted to do it in a different way. Nice. But that way was tried by my friend too and it didn't work at all. I said so and the reply was "I am the veteran, you're not.".
The people around us were shocked by his reaction and I was too.

In the past I have dealt with people who wanted all the honor, and I am kind of fed up with the lack of acknowledgement for all I do.
The veterans who have confided in me value me. I know that. But bumping against huge ego's is what I hate.
Yes, he is a veteran, but I know from a different angle how and which proper support helps traumatized people.

I walked in again.

Later I came back from the toilets and one of the veterans stopped me and gave me a huge hug.
He asked me about my leg, asked if there would still be improvement. I told him that the surgeon said I was at the endpoint of improvement. He insisted I would keep on trying.
It was clear he wanted to do something back for me, and I really appreciate that.
I will keep trying, even if it was only for him.

Then Daniel called me to talk with two canadians. Which was nice.

At the table the wife of the ego-guy was sitting.  We like each other and had a good time until she had to leave.

When others had left except for our core group, we decided to have dinner there.
P. had the idea of ordering a couple of small plates.
It was delicious!!!

Daniel asked me to come on tuesday and message him when I would be there.
Ok.

We took some photos outside.

At the hotel we watched a few episodes of a military series.
In line with the theme of the day.



Photos: here.






.

About *Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment