Finally: a bicycle!!!!
I used to bike everwhere in the past.
A high bridge? No problem.
Long distance to bring a studybook to a friend?
No problem.
I knew every wobbly stone, and even when the roads were iced I would go to school, which was at the other end of town on a hill.
Later I had two kids on it: one in front an one in the back. Nicely in fitted seats.
I didn't bicycle because it was nice to the environment... I did it because I was fast, knew all the small paths, and I could park it everywhere.
Most people knew which bicycle was mine... the silver one... the blue one... the black one with yellow patches... the one with pink flowers... the one with blue stripes....
Some of them I lost to people who had no moral and stole mine.
One day I found the two seats on the floor and the bicycle gone. There I stood, outside the shopping centre: two full bags, two kids who could hardly walk...
And then that day I had given a whole day at the church, organising the children's easter morning celebration... I was so tired... ad then I had to walk home, because someone had stolen my bicycle that stood chained to the waterpipe of the church!! The chain was cut...so it would have been a professional.
I had to stop bicycling 11 years ago because of my heart.
So I was stuck at home, dependent on others with a car.
But the past years I felt I could start again... but Mr J. didn't bother to spend the money on one.
And he didn't drive me to a shop either.
So two or three years ago I asked the kids to look for one.
Son 1, full of promisses... told me he had a foldable for me.
It never came.
Son 2 was looking for an affordable oneBut only found junk.
I looked online...found some...but found out those sellers were not reliable.
And the prices went up and up...
The electric ones were even more expensive.
And because the normal ones where in high demand, the prices went up even further.
When Mr J . died I decided I would have a bicycle soon.
When someone dies the partner receives some money to make adjustments to the new situation.
Well, this was a required adjustment. I need to be able to get my own groceries.
One of my daughters had a bicycle she lended her sister.
It was far too heavy for me.
And today she suddenly came at the door.... hands on her back....
with the keys for a "new" bicycle!!!
A light one, so it's easy to use.
A white one!!
And the back is silver with grey dots!!
So again a weird one. LOL!
She found it online.
Went to the family she bought it from by bus.
Turned out the girl in the family had this bicycle, but it was not heavy enough to be used for going to school. So she got another one.
This one has been used only once or twice. I can see, because the tires are not dirty and the other parts are extremely clean and nothing is scratched at all.
So I have a new bicycle for the prize of a second hand one.
The family was happy it would go to someone who needs one and who loves to ride on a decorated one.
And I am finally able to do what needs to be done and go to the shops or anywhere else when I want to.
It will take a while before a cross the bridge.. but I will be fine in this part of town.
Yeay!!!!!



OH, I am SO happy for you! Do you have a camera to take a picture so we can see??? Would love to see you and your new bike! I am so happy for you, and I pray that NO one would DARE to try and take it from you!! Wondering, do you wear a helmet and all that stuff there in your country? Somehow I see you riding free of encumbrances...but either way, I know you will enjoy it immensely. I'd call that an answer to prayer!!!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, it is.
DeleteMy daughter took a picture, it's in the post.
Had to go to the GP yesterday, so that was my first trip with it.
After more than 10 years a bit insecure. A light bicycle is more difficult to ride than a heavy one. But it went fine!
Many people wear those funny bicycle helmets.
I don't.
As long as there is no need.. the wind in my hair.
I fell with my bike just once. I was wearing my best and new trousers and was on a men's bike. So when somethig happens you always have the frame between your legs. Normally I just put my left foot on the ground and then the right leg just gets in the space between the frame and balance is achieved. But I used my left leg and pushed myself over with my right.
So now I stay away from men's bikes.
We learn on a three wheel bicycle when we can hardly walk, the many kids go on a normal bike with two small side wheels at the back beside the wheel. Just for balance. Andthen they are taken away and they can do whatever they want.
I learned the motions on a three wheeler and then got the normal bike immediately. Children's size. I was 4 or younger.
Never used a helmet.
I need to have one though. For safety on the dropzone when the parachutists land.
Feels ridiculous!