We were driving to the shops when I saw a few different bicycles. Not as part of an event, just independent. As there are so many types of bicycles, I had found my theme for today.
Keep in mind, that we call a bicycles everything that moves on large thin wheels. We call it "fietsen". Bicycles is in fact not a good translation, but it has been used for ages, because they all started out on two wheels.
- City bicycle.
It's the bicycle that is used for normal cycling. The frame is the reference size for all other bicycles. The handles are horizontally curved to the back. One sits rather straight on it. - Grandma bicycle.
Sometimes called utility bike.
A robust (most of the time black) bicycle with a high saddle and normal handles, with a slightly larger size of wheels. One sits very straight up on it. - Folding bicycle.
The frame can be folded, and often the handles and saddle need to be pulled upwards to be used. - Hand moved bicycle
moved by rotating the handlebars vertically opposite each other or
moved by pushing and pulling the handles. - Recumbent
You lay on it. - Tandem
One bicycle with two sets of handles and two saddles after each other - Twin
One bicycle with two seats beside each other, only one functioning set of handles - Mountain bike
Slightly smaller than usual wheels, with low straight handlebars. It's easy to stand on it and lean on the handlebars. It's for rough terrain and often used in sports. - Fat bike
A mountain bike but everything is far more robust. So wider wheels, wider frame, than a mountain bike. The handles are even shorter and lower than those of a mountain bike.
It is used for soft terrain, like mud. - Touring bicycle
Slightly more robust than a city bicycle, The handles are more to the front and often a bit horizontally curved to the front. Often there are one or two bidons attached to the frame, and a repairset under the saddle. - Time trail bike
A robust bicycle for time contests. The saddle is very small, the handles are very low and courved forward, they are long, so one can lay down on them to get as little airresistance as possible. Often the back wheel is closed. - Tricyle
For one person. One fom wheel and two at the back with some space between them. It's for people with problems keeping their balance. - Kid's bicycle.
A small bicycle which looks like a small city one.
At the back two small wheels can be attached so a child can learn keeping balance. When it can, the little wheels are removed.



I have an electric bike and love it.
ReplyDeleteWe call the little wheels on a kid's bike "training wheels." My first bike had them. I have never seen a hand moved bicycle.
ReplyDeleteSo many bicycles. The ones that crack me up are the ones that have the handles that are so high, the person has to reach above their head to hold on. Ridiculous. I've seen the recumbant in use a lot. I'm not sure how comfortable that is.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea there were so many different kinds of bikes.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness, that's a LOT of different bikes! I have not ridden a bike in many years, since my youth. I had a bad fall off my bike back then, and it scared me pretty good even though I wasn't badly hurt. (Mostly my pride). I have had some major back surgery and so I really am afraid of falling, therefore I stay away from bicycles of all sizes and shapes.
ReplyDelete