In sociology, the third place refers to the social surroundings separate from the two usual social environments of home (the first place) and the workplace (the second place). Examples of third places include churches, cafes, bars, clubs, libraries, gyms, bookstores, hackerspaces, stoops, parks, and theaters.
- What is your usual third place these days?
Seems to be the hospital.
With things going on with the girls.. and my health.. - How are your third place needs different today from some other time in your life?
The friends that used to go to the "third place" have disappeared.
And I have changed. - What’s missing from your third places these days?
I am redefining my third place at the moment.
So I don't know yet. - What kind of third places do you see yourself never frequenting?
Gyms...
And all the other expensive places. - Which third place in a television series would you most enjoy?
I have to think about this..




Interesting thoughts that I never really thought about before...a 'third place'. I guess we do have them...ours would be church, as we spend a lot of time either at church services or other extra meetings or Bible Studies, etc. Of course for us, that was also our "second place" for many years, as my hubby was a Pastor and our life pretty much revolved around everything to do with the church. Now we are retired, but it is still an important part of our lives, but we don't have to be there every time the doors are open now. We can pick and choose. I guess another 3rd place would be where we take our daily walks and where we shop for groceries. No, we don't belong to any gyms or clubs or other extra groups anymore. Money is definitely a big reason, plus we just don't need all that anymore. We stay plenty busy as it is. And yes, we change and our needs change as we age for sure. We spend way too much time going back and forth to different medical appointments.
ReplyDelete