Tuesday 4 - The End of the Year

 




  1. January 1, 1892 Ellis Island opened it's doors.  Did any of your relations enter the United States through Ellis Island?  If not, do you know your family's history?

    My family history doesn't lie in the USA.
    My ancestory is Scottish.

    But the Dutch were a trading people and they settled in 1614 at the River Hudson at a temporary trading post: Fort Nassau.
    Official new colonies were erected in 1624.
    One called New Netherlands. It was near Fort Orange which is now Albany.
    And the first buildings of New York City were made on Manhattan, called: New Amsterdam.

  2. Januray's birth stone is garnet and the flower is the carnation.  Do you have favorite gem stones or flowers?

    I love Lapiz Lazulis.
    Flowers: muscari, roses.

  3. January 6 is Epiphany. Many take that day as the final day of the Christmas celebration and take down their decor.   What about you?

    We call it the day of the three kings.
    No. We used to take it down in february. The 6th or the 12th.

  4. There is some scientific  evidence that January can set the tone for your entire year. What do you think of this? Do you make resolutions, etc? Do you pick a word of the year or have any traditions like that?

    Scientific evidence?
    Just that people feel it as a fresh start...so the psychological effect. It doesn't proof there is a real fresh start, just that it's measured that many people feel that way.

    Why would it.
    Look alone at the weather, which changes during the whole year.
    Look at what happens in a life. You can be perfectly healthy in January and not sometime else in the year.

    I have stopped making resolutions. But sometimes I do feel a bit of hope.

    The word of the year is assessed during december, so in hindsight.

    No, we just wish each other the best and start and live the new year.




.

About *Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 Comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too! None of us knows what the new year may bring, but we face it with faith and hope and courage. We don't have to go through it alone. God is always with us. That keeps me moving forward. Have a wonderful rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sly, I enjoyed reading your post and the facts about NY. I watched a tv show and the title was New Amsterdam and took place in NY. My sister visited the Netherlands 2 years ago. Thank you for your comment about my son and his healing. I saw him last night and he says he feels a little better, but still very sore. He is going to physical therapy. I am glad you have some hope. I am hoping to for a better year. My life is doing well. It is my country that I am worried about. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete