Departure - The Netherlands, Belgium

 


Leaving a day earlier than planned caused some chaos.
But I was lucky son2 brought me to the railwaystation that is better accessible for me than the nearest one.
And waiting was a bit more pleasant!

But I was a bit more happy than going by plane, because on our way to the camp we could take a bit more stuff and could take some food.





We went by train to Den Bosch, tranferred to a train to Maastricht, where we could find out if in Belgium the trainworkers would strike or not.

They didn't.

So we could travel by train a stretch more: to Luik/Liege.

There I was asked to sit and wait for my son to fetch some food, which was not a pleasant experience.
It was cold, it was impossible to hear the announcements, because the system was not operating well enough to understand my own language or French.
A few youngsters wanted to upset me, by walking past me very close and burping. I looked one of them straight in the eyes with no expression at all. That was not expected. Then I looked straight into the hall again, like I was studying a situation somewhere else. And then they went.

The camera must have caught the situation, because two minutes later 4 security guards entered the hall.
Boys went away. The guards stayed for some time.
After a while my son returned, with something to eat and we went on our way.





Time to find the bus.
We had to wait for a while, watching the city get darker. Hearing the emergency services somewhere.
Lots of fluffy seed-bearing dandelions at the side of the pavement.
They had overgrown all other weeds, so my allergy was rather silent.... lucky me!

We went on the bus very smooth.
Nice, efficient driver, speaking a bit of english.

But sitting was a different task.
There was no space to sit with my legs straight in front of me, even though I pressed myself to the back of the seat. I was kind of stuck between the back of the seat and my knees against the seat in front.
My son couldn't put his legs anywhere but on the path.

To put my legs a bit different because my hips started to hurt meant pulling my legs up and manually move them to another side.

Because we were sitting on the second row my son could see on the screen of the drivers. The seat in fromt of him was noty bespoken. Usually it is reserved for one of the drivers when he wants to sleep. But not all drivers do that. They keep awake so they can talk to the other driver and keep him alert.
My son asked if he could sit there... Immediately they both agreed. So kind!

But it didn't mean I could move freely. 
I had just a bit more space to put my knees aside. Putting my feet up didn't work with those chairs.

I knew the route to Calais,
So at times I dozed off with my head on my bag and coat an arms...



.

About **Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 Comments:

  1. Sounds like your trip had its ups and downs and discomforts. So glad you were not traveling alone! I can imagine you were happy to finally reach your destination and be able to stretch your legs and move about. I can't wait to hear all about the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad too, but at the end of the trip he got tired and got his moods... So I wished I had gone alone. LOL!

      Delete