Saturday 9 - Drive my car

 


This week's tune? Hear it here.
 
  1. Who would you allow, without hesitation, to drive your car? 

    Again a car question.
    I don't have a car!!!


  2. When you're riding in the backseat, do you use your seatbelt? 

    We have to, by law.

  3. In this song, a young girl tells her boyfriend she wants to be a movie star. What were your aspirations when you were in your late teens/early 20's? Did you realize them?

    I wanted to become a GP.
    No, I haven't realized it. Math was a real issue and based on that they said I should not study medicine.
    I first studied English, and I was fine doing it, but one of the teachers observed that I was doing very well, but not doing it with my heart. So we had a long talk, and he advised to study another helping profession: psychology.
    I followed his advice, struggled myself through the lectures of statistics and then started looking around. Did a bit of sociology too, a bit of biology too, and studied pedagogics and got my paperwork to teach very fast. I was even considered too young to use it.
    Then wentt to a professor I knew as the grandfather of one of my classmates. I had met him at their home several times. He was professor of neurology and I thought it wise to add neuology to my studies.
    He gave me permission to study at the medical department. (That was in that time... not they have nothing to say who can study there.). But he wantd me to study medicine completely, not only neurology. As I had no money I couldn't take the exams, and I had to ask permission to attent each workshop by itself, but I did my thing and really enjoyed it.
    When I finished psychology one of the main subjects was neurology, so a professor from somewhere else had to be present as it was not a formal subject on our department. (Seeing the importance of knowledge on this area it became a formal part of our studies two years later.).

    So I didn't become a GP, but my medical knowledge is very helpful in several areas of life.

    I started having a job as an assistant at our department, being the youngest staffmember. It was found out I was able to teach and even enjoyed lecturing for huge groups. My boss hated doing it, so he gave me the opportunity.
    Soon I was asked my the medical department to teach there too, and I have been doing that for many years.

    So I haven't become a GP, but I teach the future doctors, biomedics and medical researchers.

  4. The song was reportedly inspired in part by the relationship between popular British singer Cilla Black and her future husband. Cilla wanted him on the record label's payroll, so he became her road manager and driver. Have you ever worked for, or with, someone with whom you were romantically involved?

    Yes, I worked with my first love.
    And I worked with Mr. J.

    I was always very able to make a sharp division between being a private person and being a professional person.
    Job is job...
    That came in handy later in life.

  5. Although this Beatles song is credited to Lennon-McCartney, it was written mostly by Paul. He recalls showing up at John Lennon's house with the tune ready to go, and lyrics they both agreed were "crap." John gave Paul the car theme, and he took it from there. When has someone recently helped you out of a jam?

    No idea... certainly not recently.
    I have to do everything myself and even hen Mr. J was alive everything was up to me.

  6. Paul also handles the lead vocals. When you hear a Beatles record, can you tell which band member is singing lead?

    Haha...my ears are still OK. So: "Yes".

  7. When it was first released, this record got a lot of attention for the intricate guitar work by Paul and George Harrison. It's got a lot of percussion on it, too, including cowbell and tambourine. Have you ever played either cowbell or tambourine? (Do you think it sounds like fun?)

    No cowbell in an official way.
    But I have quite some experience with a tambourine, being a member of a band when the rhythm section needed a tambourine and a singer at the same time.

  8. Lava lamps were already popular in England but they weren't introduced to the United States until 1965. Today Walmart carries more than 20 different lava lamps. Have you ever owned one?

    Yes, I have one!!
    Somewhere......
    It was in a box of throw away stuff of one of the kids and I kept it.

  9. Random question: Do you have a recurring dream?

    Right at the moment, no.
    But I have had a very clear recurrent dream of a small house in a wide area, a glowing valley. Might be in Cape Verde, probably on the island of Santo Antão, the  Paúl Valley.
    I have never been there.



You can also take part in other memes:

Shoppinglist on wednesdays

Thursday 6

.

About *Syl

Syl: "Life is a chain of challenges. Sometimes the largest challenges are we ourselves. Facing life, facing others and facing yourself requires either a worryless attitude or plain courage. Most of the time it is dealing with judgement. Maybe life is about getting rid of it."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 Comments:

  1. America is a car culture. Sometimes we forget that the rest of the world isn’t in love with their cars.

    It’s interesting how you came about your career

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's isn't about being in love with cars.
      Some people here are.
      But the distances are different, parking is extremely expensive and there are people who just can't afford to get a driver's license and a car.
      .

      Delete
  2. You have certainly had an interesting career life. I think that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete