It's Carnaval again.
Lots of people will celebrate amid a flu epidemic.
People with symptoms have been asked to stay at home.
They won't.
We have seen it during Covid.
I remember how fast Covid spread because of the unwanted behaviour of people
I think people feel invulnerable. Think it's just a worse cold that can be conquered with a paracetamol.
We have seen that even people who have had all the information about risks for other people only care for their own pleasure.
In the past I have celebrated carnaval with school, dressed as a chinese with a huge hat!
And a couple of times with friends. All dressed up.
And sometimes I enjoyed it.
But often I didn't.
Men thinking it was allowed to grasp wherever they wanted.
Me reacting with a fast tibia-kick, leaving them surprised what the hell happened and who did it. Being a ballet dancer came in handy sometimes.
At secondary school I was part of the organising committee.
Of course I was quite willing to start dancing and begin the party, but I volunteered for the security group. Walking the huge grounds, with a park and sporting fields, looking for indecent behaviour, and sending people out of this forbidden area.
Of course I had lots of fun when the children were small.
Sowing outfits, creating things for school, walking with them a parade through the neighbourhood, or helping in the classroom.
It was always dealing with issues due to autism. Not wanting paint on a face, not recognising the teacher (so I had to sit down with the child and the teacher, rawing attention to things like hearing the voice, or seeing a familar pendant on her neck...) and always dealing with the aftermath: the upset, the emotional outbursts, the fears before sleeping, the nightmares, and not wanting to go to school the next day because there might be more carnaval........
The girls liked carnaval, the boys still hate it!
The dream of taking them to the city parade, just like my father did with me, it never realized the way I hoped.
One of my friends love carnaval.
They have a special team and they not only dress up in an amazing way, they also perform.
I can't wait to see the photos and videos.
Of course I had lots of fun when the children were small.
Sowing outfits, creating things for school, walking with them a parade through the neighbourhood, or helping in the classroom.
It was always dealing with issues due to autism. Not wanting paint on a face, not recognising the teacher (so I had to sit down with the child and the teacher, rawing attention to things like hearing the voice, or seeing a familar pendant on her neck...) and always dealing with the aftermath: the upset, the emotional outbursts, the fears before sleeping, the nightmares, and not wanting to go to school the next day because there might be more carnaval........
The girls liked carnaval, the boys still hate it!
The dream of taking them to the city parade, just like my father did with me, it never realized the way I hoped.
One of my friends love carnaval.
They have a special team and they not only dress up in an amazing way, they also perform.
I can't wait to see the photos and videos.
Alaaf!!



Your Carnival must be like Mardi Gras here...before Lent? Although here in America they really only have a major "Mardi Gras" at New Orleans, Louisiana. I know there must be other places that do it, but nothing like they do there. I've never been to a Mardi Gras (or Carnival as you've described it). We never lived near any cities who participated in that, and I never heard of it being in the schools with costumes, etc., so that must be something that you do in your country or maybe in Europe itself? I can see where all of that could be very frightening for children, especially those who have Autism or other special needs. I know my youngest son never liked clowns of any kind and still doesn't, and he's almost 50 years old now. He's okay with most everything else that happens in the world, but just doesn't like clowns.
ReplyDeleteI've been kind of running behind in my reading and writing still, so I know I am way behind in reading your posts. I hope you are doing well! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.
Looks like it, but it's not limited to the tuesday. For children it starts on friday, for grown ups on saturday, lasting until tuesday 24.00 hours. So it has to do with the start of Lent.
DeleteIt is huge in Europe. Especially in Italy (The carnaval of Venice is famous) and Germany.
Just take it easy and take care.